Even if you knew a spider couldn’t harm you, would you still pick it up? Most people would not. Whether a spider is harmful or not, it’s not a pleasant sight to see a spider in your home. Here are a few things you should know about Las Vegas spiders and how to keep them out of your home.
Common Las Vegas Spiders
Las Vegas is home to a plethora of spiders, some poisonous, some not. We have hobo spiders, giant house spiders, tarantulas, wolf spiders, sac spiders, brown recluse spiders and black widow spiders. That’s a lot of spiders! The good news is only two of these spiders are dangerous, the bad news is both of these spiders are common home invaders.
Here is how to identify these two dangerous spiders:
Color: light to dark brown
Size: ¼-½ inch long
Markings: A backward dark brown violin shape on their back
Size: 1 ½ – 1 ⅜ inch long
Markings: A red hourglass figure on the underside of their abdomen
Keeping Spiders Out Of Your Home
To properly protect your home, you first need to understand why and how spiders invade your home. The main reason spiders enter your home is to hunt for other insects. With that in mind, keeping spiders out of your home also means keeping common pests out of your home. Here are a few ways to do this:
- Purchase a caulking gun and seal any gaps or cracks around the exterior of your home.
- Check the window and door screens around your home.
- Ensure all your exterior doors have door sweeps beneath them.
- Inspect weather stripping around your home, and make sure it is in good working condition.
- After each meal, store leftover food and beverages in airtight containers.
- Repackage opened boxes of cereal, pet food, and other dried goods in plastic containers.
- If you have pets, clean up any spilled food and clean out their water and food bowls.
- Keep your landscaping well-maintained and trimmed away from the exterior of your home.
- Address moisture issues such as leaking pipes and fixtures, broken gutters and high humidity.
Hire a Professional
Despite your best efforts, you may still find yourself struggling with spider infestations. Lucky for you, the professionals at Anver Pest Control are here to help! Dealing with spiders can seem like a daunting task. If you are looking for a hassle-free way to deal with spiders and the insects they hunt, Anver Pest Control has the answers. We tailor our treatment to your unique needs and pest problems. Call us today for a free home inspection and protect your home and family from dangerous pests.