Contrary to popular belief, pests don’t go away in the winter– especially in milder climates like Las Vegas. Though cold weather may stop some critters, most will try to hunker down and wait out the cold weather in any warm spot they can find that provides close access to food and water.
Unfortunately for you, this means trying to find shelter in your warm home, and accessing the food and water it provides. Here are a few common Las Vegas pests homeowners should watch out for this winter:
Rats and Mice
Rats and mice are some of the most common winter pests. Unlike other rodents that hibernate during the winter, rats and mice will seek shelter in warm homes with plenty of access to water and food in order to survive.
A rodent infestation can be very dangerous to your home and health, so it’s important to keep rodents out of your home. Here are a few tips to help:
- Seal off any cracks, gaps, or entrances into your home. Rodents can squeeze through even the tiniest of cracks!
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Regularly sweep and vacuum the floors.
- Trim trees and shrubs at least 4 feet away from your home.
Some spiders have a unique survival instinct that allows them to survive cold weather. Certain species have the ability to produce an antifreeze protein that stops ice crystals from forming in their blood so they don’t freeze. Though each type of spider is different, having them in your home is still a hazard to your health. Here are a few ways to keep spiders from entering your home:
- Fix broken screens and weather strips that could allow them inside.
- Remove clutter and any potential hiding places.
- Clean up regularly so that other bugs that spiders prey on don’t come inside.
Cockroaches are very dangerous pests that can be extremely harmful to your health. These pests are known for carrying a variety of diseases and can trigger allergic reactions as well as asthma attacks.
Cockroach infestations can spread quickly, so it’s vital to stop these pests from entering your home. Here are a few tips to keep cockroaches out of your home:
- Properly discard trash in a covered container.
- Look for and eliminate sources of standing water in your home.
- Never leave food out and regularly sweep up crumbs.
If you’re traveling for the holidays or hosting family, you’ll want to watch out for bed bugs. These pests quickly latch onto clothing or luggage, and once inside your home, they are impossible to eradicate on your own, that’s why we offer professional bed bug control. Even just one bed bug hitching a ride into your home can start an infestation. Here are a few tips for avoiding bed bugs:
- Carefully inspect hotel rooms for signs of bed bugs.
- Use hardcover luggage and store your clothes in airtight bags.
- Wash your laundry on high heat upon returning home.
Call Anver Pest Control
Even with the best precautions, winter pests can make their way into your home. The last thing you want this holiday season is a pest infestation ruining your time with family and friends. If you find yourself with any of these infestations, call Anver Pest Control for our quick and effective home pest control and commercial pest control options.
Call us today for a free home inspection!