What You Need To Know About Silverfish In Henderson, Nevada
Silverfish are pests living outside but are often driven inside, seeking cool, dark shelter due to Henderson, Nevada's hot temperatures. The more you understand about these unique pests, the easier it will be to keep them out of your home. Our pest guide will help you learn about silverfish behaviors, preferred habitats, and how we can help you to keep them out of your home.
Frequently Asked Questions About Silverfish
What are silverfish?
Silverfish are insects that are named because of their distinct appearance and movements. These insects are light gray to blue, with shiny scales covering their tear-drop-shaped bodies. Silverfish grow between one-half to an inch long. They also have two long antennae on the top of their head and three long, antennae-like appendages extending from the hind end. These pests are wingless but move very quickly in a wriggling, fish-like manner.
Their fast movements and alien-like appearance cause these insects to startle homeowners. While silverfish aren't one of the most common insects to find their way into our home, if necessary, they will use our homes as a place to shelter.
Are silverfish dangerous?
Silverfish are relatively harmless compared to pests like termites, cockroaches, and stinging insects. However, having them inside our homes is problematic for several reasons.
- Silverfish will contaminate dry goods stored in kitchens and pantries.
- They feed on and damage papers, wallpaper, fabrics, and other items stored within your home.
- If silverfish are entering your home, there is the potential for other pests to also seek refuge inside your house.
- Silverfish are attracted to moisture, and a silverfish infestation could indicate a moisture problem in your home.
While silverfish don't bite, sting, or spread disease, you should never overlook their presence in your home!
Why do I have a silverfish problem?
Silverfish typically become a problem for people after moving from their outdoor spaces into our homes. Outside, silverfish like to live in damp soil under rocks, landscaping ties, trash cans, fallen trees, and leaf piles.
The closer silverfish live outside your home, the more likely they will migrate into your home. Silverfish usually enter structures at ground level moving inside through cracks in the foundation, gaps under doors, and basement windows.
Once inside your home, if it mimics its outdoor environment, silverfish make themselves comfortable and won't be in a hurry to leave.
Where will I find silverfish?
You will find silverfish hiding in warm, dark areas that keep them out of sight and protect their safety. These pests also have high moisture needs, so finding silverfish in bathrooms and other areas of your home with higher humidity levels, like kitchens, basements, and crawl spaces, is common. Within our homes, some of this insect's favorite hideouts include:
- Inside cardboard boxes
- Under papers, books, and newspapers
- Within cabinets and closets
- Behind sinks and bathtubs
- Wall voids near drains and pipes
To completely eliminate silverfish from your home, you must identify all their hiding spots – a job best left to an experienced professional!
How do I get rid of silverfish?
No one wants to share their home with unwanted pests. If silverfish or any other household pest have decided to take shelter in your Henderson home, don't hesitate to reach out to a local professional.
At Anver Pest Control, our residential pest control services include thorough inspections, tailored treatments, and follow-up visits to ensure your pest problems are completely solved. For more information about getting rid of silverfish using our eco-friendly, effective pest control offerings, reach out now.
How can I prevent silverfish in the future?
Prevent silverfish with the help of the following tips:
- Ensure your home has good ventilation, especially in kitchens, bathrooms, and crawl spaces.
- Use dehumidifiers to reduce humidity levels in your home.
- Seal entry points like cracks in the foundation and gaps under and around doors.
- Remove clutter like newspapers and cardboard boxes from closets and other storage spaces.
- Rake fallen leaves, weeds, and other vegetation away from your home's foundation.
Partner with Anver Pest Control to prevent issues with silverfish and other pests before they cause problems in your home. For home or commercial pest control in Henderson, call us today!