Rats and mice can cause serious problems.
Rats can cause a wide range of problems for homeowners, including electrical problems and the spread of diseases. Here are some details on how rats can cause these issues:
- Electrical problems: Rats have a tendency to chew on wires, which can cause damage to electrical systems and lead to electrical fires. They are especially drawn to the insulation on wires, which they may use as nesting material. If you notice signs of rodent activity in your home, such as gnawed wires or insulation, it’s important to have a professional inspect your electrical system.
- Disease transmission: Rats can carry and transmit a number of diseases to humans, including salmonella, hantavirus, and leptospirosis. These diseases can be spread through contact with rat feces, urine, or saliva, or through bites from infected rats. It’s important to take precautions to prevent exposure to rats, including wearing gloves and masks when cleaning up rodent droppings or carcasses.
Because rats and mice can be a serious problem for homeowners, as they can cause damage to property and spread diseases, here are some tips to help protect your home against rat and mice infestations:
- Keep your home clean: Rats and mice are attracted to food and garbage, so it’s important to keep your home clean and free of debris. Make sure to clean up spills and crumbs, and store food in sealed containers.
- Seal entry points: Rats and mice can squeeze through even small gaps and cracks, so it’s important to seal up any potential entry points. This includes sealing gaps around doors and windows, as well as holes in walls, floors, and roofs.
- Trim back vegetation: Rats and mice can use overgrown vegetation as cover to enter your home, so it’s important to keep trees and shrubs trimmed back away from your house.
- Store firewood properly: Rats and mice can nest in firewood, so it’s important to store firewood at least 20 feet away from your home, and off the ground.
- Use traps and baits: Traps and baits can be effective in controlling rat and mouse populations. Make sure to use them in areas where rodents are known to be active, and follow all safety precautions.
- Hire a professional: If you have a serious rat or mouse infestation, it’s best to hire a professional pest control company. They have the expertise and tools to effectively control and eliminate rodents, while also ensuring the safety of your family and pets.
By following these tips, you can help protect your home against rat and mouse infestations, and keep your family safe and healthy. Feel free to contact us if you want an inspection.