How to Safely Clean up After a Rodent Infestation
October 30, 2021
Rodents and mice are more than just a nuisance pest. Rodents are known to carry more than 35 different diseases that are detrimental to human health. Rodents dead or alive can be harmful as well as contact with rodent feces, saliva, urine, and rodent bites. They can also indirectly spread disease through ticks, mites and fleas that have fed on an infected rodent.
Rodent Droppings and Urine
Mice droppings are about the size of a grain of rice and have a spiral shape to them. Rodents are constantly pooping and urinating. Mice can poop up to 70 times a day! That is a lot of poop for just one mouse, now imagine if you have multiple rodents in your home! Any surface that has come into contact with a rodent and its dropping should be disinfected immediately.
Tips to Safely Clean Rodent Droppings
What to Wear:
- A high-quality pair of non-absorbent gloves during the whole cleaning process. (Think latex-type gloves)
- If it is bad, you will need to wear a face mask and long-sleeved pants and shirts.
- The clothing worn should be thrown out immediately.
Cleaning Method and Disposal
- Do not use a broom to sweep up droppings. Sweeping can cause the spread of airborne particles.
- Instead, spray the droppings and surrounding areas with disinfectant. After you spray, let the area sit for 10 minutes.
- Use a sponge or cloth to pick up droppings. Avoid any sweeping motions. Place all the droppings in a garbage bag and once all the droppings are picked up, discard the cloth in the garbage bag as well.
- Tightly secure the garbage bag and double bag it as an extra precaution. Immediately discard into the outside garbage bin.
- Next, disinfect any areas that rodents may have come in contact with. Such as cupboards, countertops, pantry shelves etc.
- Hard floors should be disinfected and allowed to dry, while carpets and rugs should be steam cleaned.
Call a Professional
If you have a rodent infestation that just can’t be contained, contact Anver Pest Control. Our fully trained technicians will ensure that your home is rodent-free and stays that way! Call today for a free home inspection and get your pest or rodent infestation under control!