Here’s Why Rodents Are Such A Problem In Las Vegas Valley Homes
Rodents are one kind of pest that you’re very likely to find in your Las Vegas Valley home, and mice and rats are by far the most common in the area. These small mammals often come inside in search of easy access to food and the moderate temperatures a human dwelling provides.
Despite their small size for a mammal, they are a big problem when they invade your home. They are not considered a nuisance pest as they are capable of causing property damage and health problems. Not to mention the fact that they are extremely invasive and have the ability to reproduce quickly.
One difficulty that comes along with rodent infestations is identifying which species you have. Overall, rats and mice cause similar issues, but there are differences. Mice are smaller than rats when both species are fully grown. It’s also good to know that it’s very rare to have an infestation of both at the same time. So, to help you identify rats and mice here’s an overview of their features:
- Rats are larger once they reach adulthood and have blunt noses and small ears in comparison to the size of their heads. They also have thick, scaly tails and are grey-brown to black in color.
- Mice, on the other hand, are slightly smaller and have more pointed triangular noses. They also have larger ears and eyes in proportion to their heads, and their tails are thin and covered in soft hair.
Rodents And Property Damage Concerns
While rats and mice might have some differences, one of the major similarities is that they both have specialized incisors that are made to gnaw on things. They constantly have a need to chew on things which means they destroy all kinds of items and structures.
They can damage plastic, furniture, drywall, electrical wires, plumbing, and more. As long as the material isn’t’ too hard, they can and will chew on it. Over time and with a big enough infestation, they can damage both structural elements around your property as well as smaller, individual items. This can mean a lot of money in replacements and repairs. Perhaps it’s time to call the professionals at Anver Pest Control for an inspection!
The Health Risks That Rodents Pose
While encountering property damage can be frustrating and can lead to safety hazards, the scariest thing about mice and rats is that they are dangerous to human health. They are extremely unsanitary and can cause many health problems including:
- They can spread 35 different illnesses including hantavirus and salmonella.
- Their feces can cause respiratory issues if it is allowed to build up in walls.
- Generally, they won’t bite unless handled, but bites can lead to infections. Their droppings, fur, and urine can cause allergies and asthma attacks.
- They also carry parasites like fleas.
You Have A Rodent Infestation. Now What?
Discovering that you have an infestation of rats or mice can be rather unsettling, and you might not know what to do to remove these difficult and dangerous pests. Trying to remove them by yourself usually doesn’t work and can even pose health risks, so the safest and most effective way to get rid of any rodent infestation is to contact the experts at Anver Pest Control. We are able to provide the efficiency of a large company with the affordable prices and customer services of a small business. To get started, call us today to find out more or to book an appointment.