3 Things Everyone In Henderson Ought To Know About Scorpions
Out of all the pests that invade homes here in Henderson, scorpions are by far the scariest. Depicted in movies and television as lethal killers, scorpions have gotten a rap over the years for being incredibly dangerous and aggressive. If this is what you think when you hear the word scorpion, we have some things you need to know. Here are three things everyone in Henderson ought to know about scorpions.
All Scorpions Are Different
Nevada is home to three different species of scorpions — the bark scorpion, the emperor scorpion, and the desert hairy scorpion. Here is what you need to know about each of these common area pests.
Bark scorpions are by far the most venomous scorpion found here in Henderson and identified by their sand-colored bodies and the black stripes on their back. When temperatures are unfavorable outside, these pests will seek shelter within temperature-controlled homes. Once inside, bark scorpions will do their best to stay out of sight, avoid humans, and remain around dark, damp areas such as basements and crawlspaces.
Emperor scorpions aren’t as common as bark scorpions and are considerably less dangerous. Identified by their black bodies, you’ll find these scorpions outside in hot and humid areas.
Desert Hairy Scorpions
Desert hairy scorpions are the least dangerous species here in Henderson. These pests are tan or olive green and have hairs on their tails. When inside homes, desert hairy scorpions will stay around cool, dark areas such as in cabinets and attics.
Not All Scorpions Are Dangerous
Despite how these pests are portrayed on television and in movies, they are not all dangerous. Although all scorpions have venom, most species either have weak venom or do not inject their venom when they sting humans. In our area, the only exception to this are bark scorpions which are known for their fairly potent pain-inducing venom. If you believe you have been stung by one of these pests, seek medical attention immediately.
Scorpions Are Preventable
Scorpions get into homes in several ways. Most commonly, they will invade to either escape unfavorable weather conditions outside or to hunt other pests. Here are some ways to prevent scorpions and the pests they hunt from getting into your Henderson, NV home.
- Inspect your home’s exterior for gaps and cracks. Fill in these potential entry points using a caulking gun or some liquid cement.
- Repair or replace window and door screens that are damaged.
- Check your home’s weather-stripping and make sure it is all in good condition.
- Install screens over exterior vents leading into your home.
- Make sure all of your exterior doors have high-quality door sweeps.
- Keep unscreened windows and doors shut as much as possible.
- Reduce clutter and eliminate debris in and around your home.
- Store lumber piles at least 30 feet from your home’s exterior.
- Clean indoors regularly.
- Make sure all of your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Eliminate standing water.
- Fix leaky fixtures and piping.
- Repair broken gutters.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors.
If you don’t have the time to deal with scorpions on your own or are looking to have a current infestation removed, we offer scorpion control solutions here at Anver Pest Control. Our highly trained pest technicians have everything your home needs to combat potentially dangerous pests like scorpions. Reach out to one of our friendly pest control representatives today to find an affordable plan that best fits your needs.